The advancement and popularity of electric vehicles (EVs) are on the rise, and it’s no surprise that Camp Hall, a next generation commerce park, is planned to support these modern vehicles on campus for a truly efficient mode of transportation. With increased availability of EV charging stations, it’s becoming easier than ever to make the most out of your driving experience with convenient access to energy and efficient fueling while you’re out and about.
While Camp Hall currently has two level 2 chargers available onsite at the Information Center for visitors to use while at the commerce park
Charging stations haven’t always been plentiful; however, the availability of chargers is continually increasing with the popularity of EVs.
There are three types of chargers to use with your EV:
- Level 1: Most often used in homes, and sometimes at workplaces, level 1 chargers use 120 V AC plugs and will typically provide 2 to 5 miles per hour of charge. This means it will take longer to complete a charge because it’s using less power, but this is ideal for plugging in EVs overnight in a garage, for example. No additional charging equipment is required.
- Level 2: These chargers use 240 V plugs for residential charging stations and 208 V plugs for commercial stations and can provide 10 to 20 miles per hour of charge. Level 2 chargers are the most versatile and can be found in homes, at workplaces, and at public charging stations. Oftentimes, level 2 chargers in commercial settings need electrical upgrades before being installed.
- DC Fast Charge: The fastest charger uses 480+ V-AC plugs to provide 60 to 80+ miles of charge in just 20 minutes. DC Fast Charge stations are usually found at public charging stations and especially near heavily trafficked roads and highways. The high-power capabilities require high-tech, specialized equipment to use.
Times for charging and mileage, of course, depends on the type of battery, efficiency of the vehicle, and battery depletion.
Benefits of EV chargers at your workplace
While having a home charger for EVs is essential and most EV charging may happen at home, there are two major pros to having EV chargers available near workplaces as an additional benefit to employees:
- Increased efficiency and lower cost of transportation: By providing convenient charging stations, visitors and employees can reduce the time spent seeking out public charging stations as well as extending the mileage availability on their commute. Some charging stations at workplaces are also more cost efficient than stations in general public areas, which will save visitors and employees money just by using the workplace charging stations available to them when they can.
- Commitment to the environment: By offering an opportunity for visitors and employees to use a more sustainable resource, companies are portraying the value of being environmentally conscious. Demonstrating an environmental brand value sends a clear message that the business is forward focused, adaptable to the future, and community-minded.
Camp Hall is at the apex of the business environment near Charleston, South Carolina, with a convenient and integrated grid available for transportation, a supporting workforce living in and moving to the area, and site-ready campuses available for quick and easy development. Ultimately, it is designed with people in mind and a heavy focus on nurturing the physical, natural environment of the Lowcountry. The presence of electric vehicles and public charging stations at this next generation commerce park heavily contributes to its commitment to protecting the natural environment first.